Omicron Phi Chapter History
Omicron Phi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity was chartered on November 17, 1926 by the 15th Grand Conclave meeting in Chicago, IL. The founding Brothers were the honorable Dr. D.K. Jenkins, Dr. D.D. Counts and Dr. H.H. Cooper. The chapter grew rapidly to twenty members composed of Doctors, Lawyers, Ministers, Educators, etc. from the greater Columbia area. The vision of the founders was to attract men of high standards that had a belief in Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance and Uplift.
The early Basilei included the Chapter founders and Brother J.W. Martin that served in the position for seven years. The chapter has had the services of a total of 31 Basilei. Records reflect that early programs (National Negro Achievement Week& others) were held at Allen University with a membership of 46.With this kind of history the chapter has grown to be one of the largest chapters in the Sixth District. The chapter has the honor of three District Representatives being elected (Brothers Harold R. Boulware, Charles T. Brooks and Leon B. Babridge). Omicron Phi Chapter has had many brothers that have excelled in their profession in service to mankind and the Fraternity at all levels.
From November 1926 thru 1960 the chapter meetings were held in classrooms at Allen University, Benedict College and schools in which a Brother was Principal, along with homes of brothers. In 1960 Omicron Phi became the first Chapter in the sixth District to construct a Fraternity House. The house was built on land leased from a brother in what is now the Harbison new town development. The 3200 square foot house was designed by a brother and major construction was subcontracted, all the other work was completed by the brotherhood working on weekends and holidays (it was the pride of Omicron Phi and the Sixth District). Due to the growth of the new town development and other problems the house was sold to the development and a new house was designed and built on Wilmette Street in North Columbia.
The chapter has throughout the years given out scholarships to deserving young men , many of which joined the ranks of Omega. The chapter has participated in many community service projects such as giving food baskets out during Thanksgiving and Christmas, adopting a school, Pop Warner football, Habitat Buildings , Little League baseball, Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign, Adopt-A-Highway program, Omega Boys Camp and other mandated programs of the Fraternity.